Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving

I wasn’t sure if I would post about Thanksgiving being as it is a predominantly North American holiday. Since I am living in Mexico and most of my readers on this blog are outside of NA I thought that I wouldn’t. But I just had to.

I have heard discussions along the lines of how it’s a pointless holiday since the idea that most people have of it is that it’s only about eating. But for me it is so much more.

Yes, the first Thanksgiving, was very different as to the commercial and present day Thanksgivings. But one thing has stayed the same. The reason for the Thanksgiving was to thank God for the harvest and his bountiful supply.

Actually when looking it up online yesterday I was surprised to see just how many countries (esp. in Europe) observe some kind of celebration and or days of festivities to celebrate the harvest.

It is also to celebrate friends and family, teamwork and unity. As without the Indians helping and teaching the Pilgrims there would not have been a harvest to rejoice over. So in relating it in that way to our lifestyle in The Family, Thanksgiving will never be to me a pointless holiday.

And there is so much to be thankful for besides our food, but even if that’s the only reason, what wrong with that?

I for one have so much to be thankful for, that even though I was not able to celebrate Thanksgiving Day the way I was brought up to, does not change the way I am in my heart and did not take from me my thanks to the Lord for all the wonderful things He is doing in my life.

So to all of you who read this, Happy Thanksgiving, yesterday, today and everyday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Happy Thanksgiving to you always...

Nyx Martinez said...

I thank Him for people like you, Gabe!
Cheers...