Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I am Xenophilic...


I know, I know I am idiosyncratic in my search for unusual words. It all started when I was about 9 and my dad taught me how to use a dictionary. I found atypical words fascinating even though there was not always a chance in everyday usage for the words that peaked my interest. I still look up definitions and here is a list of some of the words I have come across in the past week.

xenophilia
n. an attraction to foreign peoples, cultures, or customs.
xenophobia 
n. an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.
poppysmic 
n. refers to the noise produced by smacking the lips together.
sesquipedalian  
n. A person who uses long words.
n. A long word.
adj. long; polysyllabic.
adj. Pertaining to or given to the use of overly long words.
quidnunc
n. One who is curious to know everything that passes, and is continually asking “What now?” or “What news?” hence, one who knows or pretends to know all that is going on in politics, society, etc.; a newsmonger.
zedonk 
n. The hybrid offspring of a male zebra and a female donkey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What am I to do with these words?