Sunday, November 12, 2006

Triggered Memories

It always amazes me what triggers our memories, how looking at something can take you back 20+ years to a time when thoughts were filled with innocence and ignorance.

When I was eight I had a poster collection; most of the kids in my area did. This was before the poster books, so when they would arrive at the home we would all scramble to get our very own. My dad worked the PPC for our area and would always manage to get his hands on the ones I missed or the ones our home didn’t order. So I had a sizable collection. This here was my favorite.

I had no idea what it said but I loved the picture, it looked so full of action and excitement. I remember thinking, that I liked how the man in the foreground was so muscular, he looked so strong. Since I was a skinny kid, I figured it must be because he was dark skinned, it made me want to be dark so I could be strong. LOL! Oh, how we learn and grow.

So I saw this poster on the GP site the other day and I couldn’t remember the last time I had seen it, it was so long ago. But I definitely remembered the first. Much like the memories surrounding this poster, I can remember the way many things in my life began, but can’t remember how they ended.

Jesus, Thank you for the memories I have!

14 comments:

Nyx Martinez said...

That's my favorite poster!!

I always wanted to be the sexy dark girl with blue hair!!

hehehheheh

Anonymous said...

Nyx, you beat me to it! I used to look at that girl and wonder if I could ever have a figure that shapely or if it was only for aliens with blue hair! I decided in the end I wouldn't mind the blue hair if I could have the shape! Heh.

Nyx Martinez said...

Ah...you didnt want the blue hair?? That was the best part!!

Nyx Martinez said...

Wait....I take that back....my all time favorite poster was Fishers Of Men, for the awesome mermaids.

Gabe Rucker said...

Joy, did you get the shape or the blue hair?

Fishers of Men? Whoa hadn't thought of that poster in years...I was never into mermaids but those chics were so hot!!! I have been searching the archives for a copy of it but can't find it anywhere. Guess I should have kept better care of the collection I had.

Anonymous said...

Funny how it´s really different strokes for different folks. I never really liked this one much, except for the sexy girl with the blue hair. I always wondered when I´d finally get away with wearing so little...

Nyx Martinez said...

Ok....to be technically correct, I only liked the bottom third of this poster. And I always tried to figure whether there were monsters hidden in the green stuff in the background.

...And no, I don't think you can find Fishers of Men anymore.

Too bad!!

Ruth Cortejos said...

The good old posters...definitely memories! I used to make up so many stories just from looking at the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Nah, I never really wanted the blue hair in the first place. The hair of my dreams was black with long curls. Sigh...the things we dream of when we're small...

As for the figure, I did, in time, get a figure. Not the one of my dreams maybe, but it'll have to do.

Anonymous said...

LOL...were we all vain when we were kids??? I also wanted to be as sexy looking as the "girl with blue hair"...
I can't say that was my favorite poster (I was more into the Heaven's girl pics)but yeah poster stories were like "Wow!...Amazing!" back then...

Gabe I envy your idea to trot down memory lane. Whaaaaaa your blog is more interesting that mine...

hehehe

Gabe Rucker said...

Impetuous, you have a great blog. (hug)

Anonymous said...

Well - Gabe -- that was my favorite one too ... but I think it was more for the beautiful lightly clothed (with her back showing) "morena" -- and the name of the poster is "Loving Other Worlds" -- I believe -- Michael (of Joy)

Gabe Rucker said...

Hey, Micheal, I do agree the morena makes it heavenly. I am blessed to have a couple "morenas" right here on this comment thread.

Anonymous said...

car insurance san diego
car insurance estimate
compare car insurance
admiral car insurance
online car insurance
affordable car insurance
car insurance los angeles
cheap car insurance quote
online auto insurance quote
cheapest car insurance
agent car company home insurance life quote rate
norwich union car insurance
mercury car insurance
nj car insurance
online car insurance rate
geico car insurance quote
budget car insurance
free car insurance quote
cheap car insurance uk
washington car insurance
direct line car insurance
instant car insurance quote
car insurance estimate
car insurance for mexico
direct line car insurance
car insurance quote canada
cheap car insurance online
compare car insurance quote
auto cheap insurance
cheap car insurance uk

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
car insurance philadelphia