Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Water Pumps and Indian Cuisine

On Sunday while out with the kids the water pump went out on the van that I am borrowing while here in the States. I never like having car problems, but when the vehicle is not yours its even worse.
So Monday afternoon I got under the car to diagnose the problem, I am not a mechanic so I didn't really know what I was looking for....basically a hole where the water was coming out. I didn't find any holes on the radiator, the hoses or the engine block but it looked like from what I thought could be the water pump. I do know enough about cars to know that all cars have a water pump. So I then had the homes mechanic take a quick peek to see if I had indeed found the problem. So GBH he did and confirmed that it was indeed the water pump.
I like to get do the work on the cars even though I usually don't know what I am doing. I figure it’s a good way to learn and since the homes mechanic is way to busy I figured that was the fastest and cheapest way to repair it. TTL they had the mechanics guide to the vehicle here in the workshop.
So Tuesday I worked it out for someone in the home to watch the kids so that I could go out get the parts and then fix the car. But since my car was not running I hitched a ride with someone here going into town. So we were out all morning doing all kinds of business and I was started to wonder if I was even going to get the car fixed in one day.


The cool thing about that is she treated me to lunch, an Indian buffet. I don’t know half of what I ate but it was good. It’s been so many years since I had anything Indian.

So we got home at 4:00 pm and I was able to get the water pump replaced by 7:00pm. It turned out to be relatively simple. So I am glad I got the experience in doing so. The car is running great now….at least that I know of. I guess the next few days will tell.

No comments: